Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General posts about firearms, meet fellow members, legal and political issues, strategies and tactics etc
By Hddreamer
Dose anyone know what or how colt finishes there frames?
Has anyone powder coated there frame or know anyone that has?
I recently got a hold of a colt mustang and shows very little wear but would like to make it perfect anyone with any suggestions or can lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
By myglimk2
Have you called Colt to see if they'd refinish it?
By Hddreamer
No I haven't I just got through putting in a titanium trigger and was lookin at the frame and it started buggin me ,
I know powder coating is extremely durable so I was just lookin to see about a setup for my garage it was suprisingly cheep 150 for the gun ,4different colors and the transformer only other thing you would need is a heat sorce they say once you cook the powder in a regular oven you can't use it anymore for food pretty interesting just can't find out how thick of a coating it is ,have to make sure serial numbers can be readable
By myglimk2
I hear that. Always thought about getting into powder coating for when I was refinishing wheels. I think the problem I ran into was finding an oven big enough to bake them in. lol

Check craigslist or bargain news, there is even a site my sister in law uses quite often called free cycle. May be able to find a half way decent oven. If you do get the setup I may need a few things powder coated and I'm sure you'll be able to recoup some funds.

As for powder coat thickness on a firearm. I haven't the slightest clue on thickness. :lol:
By Hddreamer
Ya no problem Jeff ,I'll hook ya up if I get somthing going but till then I got my work cut out for me trying to find out about the thickness thing they have all kinds of colors including clear coat
That's it I have to find out now this is gonna drive me crazy!!!
By myglimk2
Maybe the guys at Delta Arsenal in Meriden or even Jojo's (if you know someone there) may be able to help you out.

Found this page on a quick search. May be of some help, I didn't read it all the way through though.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads ... tol.75194/
By Hddreamer
I was lookin at Eastwood , I'm gonna try to call them today and see how thick it is
They have some nice silvers from flat to chrome
By blueshirt23
What about having it glass bead blasted?
By Hddreamer
Hey Chris , good sugestion ,I did think about it but wasn't sure if it would get dirty easy or if the metal (aluminum) would turn color where my hands are in contact with the gun
Maybe I'm over thinkin this but I really like this gun I already put a titanium trigger and have on order a stainless guide rod and I'm thinking about some novac sights for ir also
By JohnFH
Colt will refinish it, I'm having them do my Officers in Royal blue to match my commander
By blueshirt23
I was actually planning on bead blasting the frame, hammer and the slide stop just to clean up the appearance. I think that would replicate the original frame finish perfectly. Don't get me wrong, mini Novak sights would look very cool and be an upgrade over the stock sights. But, between the shipping costs, the milling of the slide and the cost of novak sighting them in properly, you are going to end up with a very expensive Mustang. Just my 2 cents.
Also, I think I replaced the mag springs when I replaced the recoil and firing pin springs, though I couldn't swear to it. I'll check and see if I can find the order sheet from Wolff.
Chris

JohnFH,
A few years ago Hoffmans had a Royal Commander in the case. (Possibly yours?) Unfortunately, I did not have the cash on me to buy it on the spot. I went back the next day with cash in hand and it was gone. That gun made such an impression on me that soon after speaking with Colt's Custom Shop, my first Colt 1911 was on it's way back to Hartford for a refinish in Royal Blue. Three months later I was very happy with the result.
Good luck with your Commander. It is definitely a keeper.
Chris
By Hddreamer
I agree Chris Novak is not cheep I have priced the work being done locally and it's not much more to have it done at novaks I talked to one gunsmith locally and he wouldn't get on the phone he talked to me through his assistant , I don't feel good about going there, the other one seems to be confident but will take 2 months to do ,where novaks will take about a working week the only downfall is that I would be shipping the slide only , so I would have to sight it in at the range myself ,to ship the whole gun would be around 160.00 !!!! Extra
Dose colt glass bead when they refinish the mustang or do they put some kind of coating on it ?and did you ever get a price on doing it? Let me know thanks.
By blueshirt23
My plan was to strip the gun down to the frame and just bring what I wanted blasted to a local shop. There's a shop in Milford I was planning to use. I would have to look up the name of the company. I think if you are going to spend the money on Novak sights, it would be prudent to have Novak to do the work. At least you will know for sure that it would be done correctly. Also, if you send the complete gun, you know for a fact that the point of aim will be what you specify. Or you could spend the money that would have gone towards the sights and stock up on 380. I went through almost the same thing with a Hi-Power with the tiny sights. I debated with sending the gun off to Novaks for sight replacement. In addition to the cost involved, I wasn't thrilled with modifying a collectible Hi-Power. Instead, I sold the gun and bought a NIB MKIII with the larger sights factory installed. I know it's not a perfect analogy but just an alternate way of looking at it.
By Hddreamer
I replaced the trigger , it was alittle tricky getting it out , have you ever totally stripped down the mustang ? Is it hard or anything I should be prepared for I never totally stripped a gun down to bare frame before
By Hddreamer
Just checked colts website there's a 18 month wait for anything in there custom shop !
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!