Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By J
Looking to install a muzzle brake (to be compliant) on my M&P15. Or maybe just buy a new barrel with one already on there. Is there a difference in barrels or something I should look for if I have a gas piston or direct impingement AR?
By myglimk2
Is your current barrel threaded?
By JohnFH
Compliant to what?

If you registered an "Assault Weapon" you can have as many evil features you want.

A brake effects gasses after they leave the barrel, so it has no effect on the gas system
By J
myglimk2, No my barrels not threaded.
JohnFH, I read somewhere that a flash hider was illegal in CT but a muzzle brake was OK. Also, I called the office in Newtown and had them tell me exactly where it states that active duty military do not have to register high cap mags and so called "assault weapons." Only after we retire or separate from service we have 90 days from then to register those things.
By myglimk2
I can't remember all that was in the bill about AW's or FH's. It might be easier and cheaper to just install a threaded barrel than getting yours threaded. I would start with checking Midwayusa or Brownells etc and reading reviews and what's in stock.
By J
Is there any difference in barrels when looking for a gas piston or direct impingement system?
By myglimk2
I don't believe so, but I'll let someone else chime in.
By J
Just to clarify:
Is there any difference in barrels when HAVING a gas piston or direct impingement system?
By JohnFH
1 NEVER ask the police legal advice.

2 The barrels are the same, only the gas system is different.
By 220combat
JohnFH wrote:1 NEVER ask the police legal advice.

2 The barrels are the same, only the gas system is different.
^^This^^

If you registered your gun as an assault weapon, then there is no limit to the "evil" features that it may have on it. You can leave a flash hider on.

Back in the pre ban (pre '14) days, you were limited on features, and flash hiders and threaded barrels were evil. So muzzle breakers were installed instead of flash hiders, and they were pinned and welded, eliminating those 2 features.

In your case, the barrel is not even threaded, so you have no feature that you're trying to remove. Lave it alone, unless you WANT a threaded barrel or a muzzle break.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!