Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General car chit-chat for the auto guys
By myglimk2
I am building this car in memory of my Uncle Dave (lojack202). He passed on 11/24/14 at only 53 years young. He always loved a good laugh and a good bargain. I was very close to him and always looked up to him. My interest in buying and selling and searching for "deals" came from my Uncle.
I am rebuilding his 1992 VW Jetta 1.8l 8v 5spd. The car only has 96k original miles. He always wanted to fix it up but his health and finances never allowed him to do so. I have owned and built a lot of these mk2's in the past and know these cars like the back of my hands!

The original engine is being built up and should be a little monster when it's done. I've already gone through the lower end and everything checks out good. The cylinder head was sent out to be rebuilt and receive a port/polish along with the intake manifold and throttle body. I have a TT 288 degree race cam inbound along with a custom 288 chip with a raised rev limiter to 7500. Headers will be mated up to a high flow cat and TT 2.25'' cat back. I have a lightweight flywheel, lightweight intermediate pulley, lightweight and adjustable cam pulley, and a lightweight crank gear. Also deleted the A/C and power steering to free up some more HP.

Currently in the process of cleaning the engine bay and rerouting the engine harness for a cleaner look.

Enough of the talk. Here are the pics so far. I apologize that I do not have a before pic of the entire car.

First pic is of the factory GLI spoiler installed. He had it sitting for years and always wanted it installed.

Before and after of the rear end and roof. I don't think he ever washed the car! lol

Tearing down the front end begins.

Recovered the rear deck and headliner.

Interior tear down. Cleaned and re-wrapped the interior harness. Also ran wires for a sub/amp for later.

Some more engine tear down/removal.

Coilovers showed up!

Rebuilt the rear brakes and ebrake cables.

Brand new factory Corrado Steel wheels with new tires.

Some more engine bay work.

And, it's out!!

Torn down before dropping the head off at the speed shop.

There was about a quarter inch worth of dirt, oil and grease all over the block.

Lightweight flywheel, oil pan baffle, and the side by side of the lightweight crank gear.

Engine assembly pics.

This is where I am as of 12/28/14.
By myglimk2
Thanks!
By myglimk2
The rest of my cylinder head parts came in today (heavy duty lifter springs, seals, etc), just gotta drop them off to the machine shop so he can finish the head.

Worked on more of the engine bay harness for about and hour tonight. It's about 75% complete at this point.
Quick pic.
Before:

After:
By Mike-Sid
looks like you are doing a great job! keep the pictures coming. sorry about your Uncle Dave
By myglimk2
Thanks Mike!
By CTSixshot
Too bad I hadn't realized I had some rear brake parts stashed in storage. I assume the hydraulic gizmos for a 1989 Jetta would be compatible with your model...? I'll gather whatever I can find (maybe a window crank handle and some door handles) and save them for you, myglimk2.
By myglimk2
Awesome,thanks G! :D
By myglimk2
Was up to about 4am last night, well, this morning working on the car and cleaning the garage up a bit.
Finished sanding, painting and installing the new badgeless grille and smoked Euro code headlights. Also worked on the radiator fan housing, cleaned up the rain tray and temporarily installed the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Not sure if that is going to be the final place for it yet though.
By Hddreamer
Lookin good Jeff keep up the good work!
By myglimk2
Thanks guys! Hoping by February I'll have it running and able to move under its own power.
By myglimk2
Still waiting for parts to show up so I've been plugging away some things here and there.

Started working on the trunk floor to mount some bass tubes. The only reason I am going with the tubes is because my Uncle always wanted to put them in there but never got around to it. I think he had these tubes in almost every car he owned, lol!

The huge cam, custom chip, and adjustable lightweight cam gear showed up.
By PaiN
btw.....You are not allowed to use Plasti-Dip.... :wink:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!