Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
As we are probably all aware, something went on in New Britain. We had New Britain's common council for the first time talking about mandating concealed carry.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/article ... 599484.txt

In the interest of getting to the bottom of this and finding out what we could do to fix whatever went wrong, we did some research.

Here is the video of common council meeting, trimmed to not include the non relevant parts of the meeting:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/b8f ... 6be3941d29

That sure seems to be the same thing we are getting out of the news report, so the news report does not seem to be out of place or badly reported.

We were also able to obtain this roll call and resolution from the common council:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/bef ... 50096aebcd

This is far more interesting. That resolution is garbage and there is no possible way for it to proceed.

I am including it here for easier discussion and analysis:
Resolution wrote:Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons

(a) No Any person shall be permitted to carry, or wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol or revolver, dagger, metal knuckles, razor, sling-shot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and peaceable engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode or business to a place or a person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.
This resolution makes no sense. Even if it was adopted, it would seek to eliminate the need for a pistol permit inside New Britain city limits. There is no way for it to proceed.

The proper way to handle this would to repeal this entire section as none of it is necessary or useful. Barring that, adding a (c) clause with "This section shall not apply to anyone with a valid State or temporary Permit to Carry Pistols or revolvers" would at least accomplish what people have claimed is the aim of this resolution.

Something is very wrong with this resolution and the communications surrounding it.

This resolution is supposed to have another vote in a future council meeting. I would have to assume that the text of this resolution will change once someone who can read looks over it. With the stated purpose of the bill made to the council, I can't imagine it going well for unconcealed carriers.
By ctkix
They were told what the state law is - carry as you choose.

The change to the ordinance is geared towards making New Britain the same as CT. On a few occasions, they were thinking the state law was concealed carry - and they were corrected on that a few times as well.

As it stands now, they motion is set to table it so that city council can get the verification that the state law is indeed carry - period. Then, they want to send it to the police chief to see if he agrees that the option is a valid one.

Then it comes back to the council for a vote.

Jonathan
By romma
Jonathan and I were able to support the amendment during the opening comments, and then under new business we (Jonathan and I) were able to explain the state statues and convince them that many people wish to conceal their firearms.

I was also quite clear that there is no prescribed manner of carry in Connecticut, but most would probably conceal their firearms if the ordinance is revised.

They were not happy with the language so I directed the committee to the information on the New London revision and supplied them with a copy of the language, clerks information, a copy of the Connecticut Statutes.
There is little doubt that this modification will pass after some tweaking.

The fact that we showed up to the committee hearing and carefully explained the intent is what swayed some anti gun alderman.

Scott
CCDL, Inc
By ctkix
For clarity..... we were clear that we are not against open carry. We mentioned on more than one occasion that CT la is a permit to carry - period.

Council seemed to "get it"...... after a little bit of discussion.

Jonathan
By Rich_B
romma wrote:Jonathan and I were able to support the amendment during the opening comments, and then under new business we (Jonathan and I) were able to explain the state statues and convince them that many people wish to conceal their firearms.
What was the date of this appearance? The common council seems to know nothing of this and it is not represented on their video of the meeting.

There is little doubt that this modification will pass after some tweaking.
What assurances do you have that this will not be 'tweaked' into a negative direction?
By Rich_B
ctkix wrote: Council seemed to "get it"...... after a little bit of discussion.
Can you point anyone to evidence of this? Certainly the video we have posted does not contain this enlightenment.
By romma
The date was last evening. This was the "Law and Finance Committee". The assurances that I can offer are only that after careful explanation on the Statutes they were all nodding their heads in seeming approval. Even the two main anti-gun councilors seemed to really get it.

I would say if we do not have interference from outside parties at this point (media or what have you), then this should be smooth sailing.
By LTB45
Rich_B wrote:
Can you point anyone to evidence of this? Certainly the video we have posted does not contain this enlightenment.
Your video is from JUNE
Today is August 2nd

Glad that CCDL was there to set them straight!
By Mopar
LTB45 wrote:
Rich_B wrote:
Your video is from JUNE
Today is August 2nd

Glad that CCDL was there to set them straight!
THIS!
By ctkix
Um, exactly that.

We were there, you weren't. They asked US questions.

I can say that after walking away after the council meeting, things seemed to go good.

They asked us questions AFTER the public comment portion for clarification. Which they didn't have to do.

Jonathan
By BadAim
I'm confused. Is concealed carry at present legal in New Britain?
By fantomas
BadAim wrote:I'm confused. Is concealed carry at present legal in New Britain?
no
By nvisn
Edit of brain fart comment.
Last edited by nvisn on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fantomas
nvisn wrote:
fantomas wrote:
BadAim wrote:I'm confused. Is concealed carry at present legal in New Britain?
no
Wrong. Please don't answer if you don't know the answer.

Concealed carry IS illegal in New Brittan.
Get off your high horse. The question was, " Is concealed carry at present legal in New Britain?"

My answer was "no". It is not legal. That's why people open carry like "cowboys". New Britain at present by specific wording forbids concealed carry in the city limits.

So what is it exactly I don't know?
By nvisn
You are correct sir. Please accept my apology.
Last edited by nvisn on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!