Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reports and information on local vendors.
By sludwinjr
went to the range in bristol with the wife. got there early and new it was gonna be busy. there was 2 young kids working the counter and while waiting in line a bunch of young kids come in with their backpacks and instantly get a range. so im standing there like WTF and the guy behind the counter obviously new them and rented 1 lane for like 10 kids.......so i figure screw this ill come back later. get there later and no wait, same 2 kids behind counter talking guns with a friend and it takes me 20 minutes to get signed in.
so me and the wife out shooting i get tapped on the shoulder by this kid that works there who looks straight out of fast and the furious and says to me"your shooting okay, but if you let me shoot your gun i can give you some pointers" so i get pissed and im like who the f*ck are you? get the hell away from me. about 15 minutes later he does the same to the wife.....are you serious? i corner him out in the store and light him up....

i mean really.....thats what it comes to now even at a range......im very easy going and i will let anyone i know or wifes friends shoot anything i have.....
i guess i need to fing a decent gun club thats close by....any ideas?
By AGust82
That place sucks. Run by arrogant children.

I joined Bell City Rifle Club in Southington a few years back. Best move I ever made in this hobby. It's actually only about 5 minutes from Wolf's. (I assume you live in the area) It'll cost you about $500 for the first year and $198 a year after that. You get a set of keys and unlimited use. 500 bucks is tough to swallow but you learn to appreciate and respect the fee. Keeps out the "fast and furious" types.

http://www.bellcity.org/
By AGust82
Also, no restrictions on guests. Bring your wife, family, and friends all you want. no fees.
By sludwinjr
Do they have an indoor range for normal handgun calibers?
Thanks
By PaiN
sludwinjr wrote:Do they have an indoor range for normal handgun calibers?
Thanks
Nope .22lr only
By Mopar
Come to the dark side, WLOPA is only 15 minutes from Wolf's. We don't have an indoor range, but we DO have a bar with cheap drinks. Of course you might have PaiN tap you on the shoulder and ask to buy i mean shoot your gun.

SR9 and LTB45 are also members there, and Nvisn mooches along as a guest so often that people THINK he's a member.
By Mopar
Oh, and cake. We often have cake.
By sludwinjr
pm me if you can on cost for me and the wife and what we would need to do to join, thanks
steve
By Jason
Why do people seem to avoid hoffmans? I really like their range and have yet to have a bad incident - Have been there dozens of times for many thousands of rounds.
By newguy
Ya i do have to say when SR9 invited me over to Wolcott one for the afternoon to shoot it was a really nice place good setup. Though my GPS got me utterly lost lol Thank god i left my house early and gave myself alittle extra time
By Mopar
sludwinjr wrote:pm me if you can on cost for me and the wife and what we would need to do to join, thanks
steve
http://www.wlopa.com/membership.htm
Basically $450 the first year to join, then $199 a year after that. If you wife is only going to shoot with you, she can be your guest. If she wants to go shoot without you, it's another $249 the first year and $199 after. If that sounds good, shoot me a pm for more info, I'm sure one of us can show you around. I should be there all afternoon this Saturday, my wife is bar-tending.
Jason wrote:Why do people seem to avoid hoffmans? I really like their range and have yet to have a bad incident - Have been there dozens of times for many thousands of rounds.
Cant speak for others, but for me it's cost and facilities (and it's even further away then WLOPA is for me). For starters really no useful rifle or shotgun. Then there are range fees. I probably spend at least 100hrs a year on the range, 99.9% of that on weekends. My wife and boy probably add at least another 25hrs to that. For $199/yr I can shoot as much rifle/pistol as I want, and skeet/trap are only a few bucks a round. No matter what membership level or how many discount books ya buy at Hoffman's it would probably run me at least $5-700 just in range fees. On top of that, last I checked Hoff's wanted you to only use ammo bought from them. As you can imagine, we go through 10's of thousands of rounds a year. If I couldn't shoot my reloads and mail order bulk ammo my shooting costs would increase dramatically.
By newguy
Tell ya one thing just watching people thru the windows at Hoffman's i will never shoot there tons of people who have no clue what there doing i have seen people swinging the muzzle other directions then down range and I don't care what they say there ventilation system still not up to par. When you see huge clouds of Lead dust fly out the door every time they open it. I be afraid to breath in there.
By Mopar
Jason wrote:Why do people seem to avoid hoffmans? I really like their range and have yet to have a bad incident - Have been there dozens of times for many thousands of rounds.
One last thing, and it's a big one. FRIENDS.
When you belong to a private range it's a whole different atmosphere then a public range. Pretty much everyone there is your friend, not someone trying to cram as much shooting in before their $25 hour runs out. You aren't paying by the hour, you don't mind mixing some BSing in with the people around you. And since it's only members, you generally see the same people, not just some random guy off the street. Then, after shooting, you can go into the clubhouse and have a beer with the guys you were just shooting on the range with. Maybe watch the race or the game on the TVs at the bar, or shoot a game of pool. It makes shooting more relaxing and enjoyable, IMNHO.
By sludwinjr
this place does sound sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By myglimk2
sludwinjr wrote:this place does sound sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is! Went there once with Mopar,nvisn, and LTB45. Great group of friendly people minus LTB45. :P
None the less it was an excellent expierience and would like to go again sometime soon. If I can stop buying guns for a while I may actually be able to come up with the funds for a membership! :twisted:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!