Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms

Are you willing to march in Hartford to defend your rights?

Yes, without question
89%
Maybe, but will the media show my face
No votes
0%
No, I am too afraid of being vilified in my community
No votes
0%
No, I am fully convinced nothing will come of this
11%
By ctsheepdog
Gear and gun blogger Nutnfancy has put out a call to march on state capitols on Sat 19Jan in support of our rights. Can we muster enough bodies there to garner some real attention from Hartford?

The anti-self-defense gun movement is organized, both directly and indirectly through like-minded liberal organizations with other primary goals. As we all know, with the exception of the NRA, the shooting sports population is fragmented with few organizations having the mass to organize broadly and communicate quickly. While this effort may not create a "million man march", it is the best idea I have seen in some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAfft7l4wQ

Given the rhetoric coming out of Hartford, Albany, NYC, DC and elsewhere, it is time all of us gun owners start letting our voices be heard. Sure, the duck hunter, steels shooter or paper puncher might not care about those evil black rifles and/or hi-cap mags but do you really think they will stop there. Did the anti-gun crowd in the UK stop when they forced all weapons out of homes and into gun clubs?

What we are witnessing now is a combination of the application of Alinsky's rules (isolate and vilify your foe) and the Overton Window theory. Charlton Heston was ridiculed for his frequent warnings about the gun-takers, even by some who owned firearms. Yet, listening to Cuomo, Feinstein, Blumenthal and others over the past weeks, the Omega Man no longer sounds so crazy.

Will you show up and be heard in Hartford on 19 January?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

I have cross-posted this at ctguntalk. If you want to comment and are registered in both places, would you mind doing it there so we can hear comments in a single consolidated location.

http://www.ctguntalk.com/smf/index.php? ... 40.new#new

My apologies to the moderators if they feel I am directing traffic to "that other" blog. If his offends you greatly, just delete the above paragraph please.
By Mopar
Dont take this as a knock; take it as someone who has been involved in organizing 2 progun rallies in Hartford already.

Having it on a Saturday is a double-edged sword. More attendees can go, but the people you want to notice - the legislators and law makers - are not there. Nobody will notice unless you have the support of the media (not gonna happen for a progun rally, we tried).

That's why the anti's are doing theirs on a weekday. Of course, their group is made up of far more people who don't work and mooch off those who do, so they can pull it off and get noticed.

So basically you need to move it to a weekday. Now, me personally, if I am going to ask people to take a day off from work to fight for their 2A rights, I want them to spend it inside, testifying against antigun bills in front of the people who have the power to stop them, not standing around outside with a sign.
By ctsheepdog
Mopar - I did not organize this, it is being done on an ad hoc basis across the country. Saturday picks up more folks who work weekdays and yet does not interfere with church on Sunday. While sub-optimal, I see not better alternative.

Views not voiced are views not heard. Even a tree falling in the forest with no one around still makes a noise. Relevance? I don't know but....
By Mopar
I understand you are not the organizer, but I'm pointing out things from the perspective of someone who HAS helped organize exactly this thing twice already (April 10, 2010, and April 28, 2012).
It's easy to say for some guy on some blog to say do it. But he's not actually DOING IT, is he? FYI, CT requires a permit to have a rally at the Capitol building. As part of that permit you need to provide portajohns. No I don't agree that the public needs a permit to use property it owns, but dems da rules.
Also be aware that while carrying a gun IS in fact allowed on the Capitol grounds, you are not allowed in the building, and if you step off the curb into the park you will be breaking the law. No carry in Hartford parks. Again, I don't agree, but if they let me make the laws we wouldn't have a problem.

I'd rather see that blogger who is promoting this to tell people to instead go to their state capital and testify against a freedom destroying bill. That is something that might actually help.
By CaptMac
I think there is room enough to do many things, and not all of them need to be following all of the rules.

If Jan. 19th is the date when a bunch of states will do something, it would be nice if we joined them with something here. If we do or do not, that will not be the end of anything. If 1,000,000 residents of Connecticut show that day, it will not end anything, and we all not not that many will show.

And, as far as preferring testimony or protest, I will take both. We do not have room to make any other choice, not at this time, not in this state.
By MessEleven
The poll questions are a bit like..."have you quit beating your wife?" :P
By Mopar
So, who's applying and paying for the permit and renting the portajohns?
I guess one way to make the news is to get arrested for an unlawful rally while armed.

Really, I'm not trying to sound negative, even though I know it's coming across that way. Just trying to be realistic. If someone can pull this off legally and I'm free that day I'll drive to Harford and join ya. I'll even bring some some friends and extra signs left over from the past rallies.
By sigequinox
it's getting crazy out there people. If you sit at home instead of going to hartford on the 19th you are telling the state reps that you don't care enough about this issue and the decision they make!

Whats going on in NY right now with Cuomo is disgusting, pathetic, useless legislation that is going to destroy the second amendment. We cannot let the same happen in CT!

The country is divided, frustrated and doesnt know what to do, lets start by having them not impose laws that will only hurt us while doing nothing to prevent, deter, or reduce crime.
By sigequinox
everyone with a facebook should post this immediately as well. we cannot just keep b*tching on the internet, we ned to write call and protest!
By CaptMac
sigequinox wrote:everyone with a facebook should post this immediately as well. we cannot just keep b*tching on the internet, we ned to write call and protest!
As much as I agree that we need to write and call and protest or demonstrate, we also need some organization. Where are we meeting? Who is speaking if anyone? What else are we doing simply besides showing up?

Showing up and being a rabble is not a good option and will not be helpful.

I will show up, but we need some organization. I may be willing to break some rules, but a rabble is not the answer.

It may not happen on the 19th, and that may be a shame, but it needs to happen soon.
By Mopar
I'm also getting messages about the same type of march scheduled for Feb 8th.
By sigequinox
CaptMac wrote:
sigequinox wrote:everyone with a facebook should post this immediately as well. we cannot just keep b*tching on the internet, we ned to write call and protest!
As much as I agree that we need to write and call and protest or demonstrate, we also need some organization. Where are we meeting? Who is speaking if anyone? What else are we doing simply besides showing up?

Showing up and being a rabble is not a good option and will not be helpful.

I will show up, but we need some organization. I may be willing to break some rules, but a rabble is not the answer.

It may not happen on the 19th, and that may be a shame, but it needs to happen soon.
The capitol building is where The Movement suggests. While I agree, we do need some organization and even speakers it is not a waste to show up in numbers. It tells these politicians that live in there little bubble that many DO NOT agree with the ban and the destruction of our constitutional rights.

In NY, the NYPD is devising algorithms to search the internet for key words and phrases that SUGGEST behavior that may result in violence-courtesy of Ray Kelley (NYPD commissioner and May michael bloomturd). So, the 1st amendment is starting to dissolve. then the Patriot act and NDAA pretty much take a big sh*t on the 4th,5th,6th, and 7th amendment and now there is an all out political war/witch hunt to take away the 2nd amendment which gives the people the confidence and power to protect the rest--oh, and themselves and their family.

We cannot just sit back. keep writing, keep motivating others, keep being a recruit to this great sport and community, but also show up and show this country that we DO NOT support these new laws. We all know they will do nothing but hurt US, the avg joe.

Breaking rules is the last thing we should be doing right now, we need to show the country that armed society is a polite society. That we are good folk just liek everyone else and that 90 percent of gun crimes are committed by criminals with illegal guns or stolen guns. Wear a shirt and tie, not your tac vest and camo.

Does this forum have any connections to any firearm organizations? can we find a public speaker? I am new to this state, i have no idea.
By sigequinox
Mopar wrote:I'm also getting messages about the same type of march scheduled for Feb 8th.
I will be at both then
By Mopar
There has been a huge discussion about ths on CCDL's facebook group. Looks like someone has succeeded in getting permission for this so it's now legit. Nice to see new people stepping up to the plate and laking the lead on things like this.
January 19th
North stairs of Capitol Building at noon.

I'll post a flyer as soon as it's uploaded.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!