Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Reloading, Gunsmithing, and Ammo
By zero12
Hi guys,
My father is in Connecticut now. He used to collect rifles. He is a retired person and I would like to present him a lathe. I consider a pre-used machine. Can anybody advise a good model? I can spend not more than $2000. How to check the lathe on its quality? I will order it from Madison.
thanks
By zero12
There are not so many pre-used lathe machines in a good condition on the Craigslist. Although I found one and contacted the owner.
The machine is 16" x 40". I can’t understand how to power it properly. Here is the motor installed there https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-mot ... 46_baldor/ My father doesn’t have 3phase power. Is it real to use it in a garage?
By RICH
Most lathes are 3 phase unless you get the old hobby lathes like a logan.
You can operate a 3 phase lathe at home with a phase coverter sized to the hp of the motor. They make solid state ones that are just a lil box, or rotary ones that are an actual motor that once its spinning it out puts what can be used to power another motor. Easy to make the rotary, when you power it with two legs of 110 it will just sit there humming, not able to spin in one direction or the other, if you manually get it to spin it will work, or you can drop the current on non used leg with capacitors and a momentary switch and it will start spinning, there also store bought rotarys, same technology.
I have an old logan I need to sell if thats covers your scope of work, if not a nice small lathe to look for is a clausing 5914. Gl
By RICH
Most lathes are 3 phase unless you get the old hobby lathes like a logan.
You can operate a 3 phase lathe at home with a phase coverter sized to the hp of the motor. They make solid state ones that are just a lil box, or rotary ones that are an actual motor that once its spinning it out puts what can be used to power another motor. Easy to make the rotary, when you power it with two legs of 110 it will just sit there humming, not able to spin in one direction or the other, if you manually get it to spin it will work, or you can drop the current on non used leg with capacitors and a momentary switch and it will start spinning, there also store bought rotarys, same technology.
I have an old logan I need to sell if thats covers your scope of work, if not a nice small lathe to look for is a clausing 5914. Gl
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!