Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Clays, Trap, Skeet etc, all shotgun related queries and information.
By GixerJockey
Where does the "skeet" choke fall within the lineup?

I can't seem to get a difinitive answer and its not on my brass choke gauge. Some say its between "modified" and "imp cyl", others say its more open than Imp cyl. What say you?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Winchester 101 12ga, for a great deal. Its choked "skeet/skeet".
By jtf650
Skeet is the most open choke, next to Cylinder which is no choke (or constriction) at all. In order, from most open to tightest, it goes
Cylinder, Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Modified, Improved Modified, Full. Guns which are choked skeet are typically considered to be limited to fairly short range shooting (skeet shots are normally a maximum of 20-25 yards) since the pattern opens up quickly and thins out to the point that it becomes ineffective beyond those distances. Not to say you can't hit a clay target or bird at 40 yards with a skeet choke, you just can't do it consistently.
By GixerJockey
that's what I was afraid of. I still might grab it. it is too good of a deal on my favorite shotgun,to pass it up
By jtf650
One other thing- how long are the barrels? Forty years ago, 26" O/U barrels were common, then 28" became the standard, now 30" and even 32" barrels are the norm. Not saying you can't shoot skeet with 26" gun, but it will be much more difficult to sell if you decide to get rid of it. Which reminds me- what's the difference between a 26" skeet gun and syphilis? You can get rid of syphilis.
By GixerJockey
It's a 28". And if I pick it up, I can always get out of it and generate a small profit. It's the 12ga match to my 101 20ga. Idealy I'd like it to be imp/mod. But I don't think I'll come across another one that's in this condition for anywhere near this price. I don't need it. This is totally a "want". My only hesitation is the choke. I guess it will be fine to break clays from a trap on the shooting line, but not much else. Sporting Clays will probably be frustrating with the skeet chokes. I'm sure not going to be shooting any skeet with it. I don't enjoy the game.
By jtf650
You can always send it off to Briley to have screw-in chokes installed. A little extra cost but a lot of extra versatility if you decide you want to really use the gun for all around purposes. In any event, enjoy your new gun if you decide to pick it up. The first gun I ever bought for myself was a 20 gauge Pigeon Grade 101 with skeet chokes. Still have fond memories of that gun.
By GixerJockey
Likewise... The first O/U I owned was a pigeon grade 101 20ga, choked imp/mod... and I still have it. :wink:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!